Cases That I Handle
How to find us
About Jeff Kimmell
Interesting links
The Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi

If you have to go to court, make sure that you take the right lawyer with you.

Drug cases, whether felony or misdemeanor, require an attorney with knowledge of the Fourth Amendment and its protections.  Many of these cases can be won by having the evidence excluded due to the illegal actions of law enforcment officers. 

OWI, DUI, and certain traffic cases carry with them the potential for a jail sentence, the loss of driving privileges and higher insurance premiums. A lawyer with years of experience can save you thousands of dollars and help you avoid jail. Don't plead guilty to OWI, DUI, or any traffic infraction without first consulting an experienced lawyer.

Whether you have been falsely accused, have acted in self defense or you need help in negotiating a fair outcome in a battery or domestic battery case, an experienced criminal defense lawyer can help you obtain justice.

Small Theft or Criminal Conversion cases can  often be resolved by having the charges dismissed.  Don't plead guilty when a lawyer may be able to help you avoid a conviction or obtain a reduction of a felony charge to a misdemeanor. 

All felonies are the serious criminal cases. They carry penalties ranging from 6 months to 50 years.  Anyone charged with a felony should talk to an experienced criminal defense lawyer immediately. Remember what you say to your lawyer is always confidential and protected by the attorney client relationship. If you plan on going to trial, make sure that your lawyer has a reputation for winning jury trials and ask how many he or she has won.

Many people make the mistake of pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge without first consulting a lawyer.  You should never do this. Misdemeanors carry sentences of  zero to 365 days. Additionally, a misdemeanor conviction will hurt your future employment prospects.  These are serious cases.

Federal cases are handled much differently than State cases.  The stakes are often times higher. If you have been charged with a Felony or Misdemeanor in Federal Court, make sure that you ask any lawyer you interview how much experience he or she has in the Federal Court system. 

If you want to appeal a criminal conviction in most instances you must file a notice of appeal within 30 days.  Appellate work is complex and governed by strict rules.  Jeff Kimmell has handled over 60 appeals in his career. He has argued befor the Indiana Court of Appeals and the Indiana Supreme Court.  He has twice received exceptional praise from the Indiana Court of Appeals for his excellent appellate advocacy. He has also handled appeals before the Seventh Circuit Federal Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.

If your rights have been violated you may be able to have a criminal charge dismissed.  In extreme cases you may even be able to collect money from the government official or police officer who has violated your rights. Illegal stops,  searches and the use of excessive force are the most frequent  ways that law enforcment officers violate citizens' rights. If police have arrested you without just cause or  used excessive force resulting in injury, you may be entitled to compensation. Jeff Kimmell is one South Bend's few lawyers to have tried these cases and won monetary judgments for citizens.

If you are are arrested but no charges are filed, or you are found not guilty at trial, you may be able to have the entire record of your arrest expunged.  If this happens your photos, finger prints and all electronic and paper records will be destroyed. This is true whether you have been arrested for OWI, DUI, minor consuming, criminal converstion, theft or any other felony, misdemeanor, or traffic offense.

If you have been issued a traffic citation for speeding, Drivning While Suspended or other traffic offense, an experienced criminal lawyer will know how to handle your case.  These tickets, if paid, can and will result points being assessed against your license, higher insurance premiums and possible license suspensions. Jeff Kimmell can help you avoid these things for any ticket issued in Saint Joseph County, Indiana. Call for fee quote from an experienced South Bend traffic lawyer.

TELEPHONE: 574-232-7410